There are many volunteer projects for seniors all across the US, in which they can get involved whenever they want. Millions of elderly people volunteer every year, but given the fact that this population segment is higher than 48 million (and projected to reach 80 million by 2050), there is plenty of room for growth here.
As a senior, you can run a local food drive and help feed the hungry, you can contact a community youth center and become a mentor, you can travel abroad with an international volunteer service, you can become an online tutor, you can contact local relevant authorities and organizations to get involved in cleaning up the environment and much more. You can even organize a group of people to do weekly visits to The Parks Senior Living center in town.
Volunteer work for seniors is aimed at promoting the active involvement of elderly people in activities of general interest to the community. It is an excellent tool to mobilize their maximum potential to contribute to the development of the society, to the modification of negative attitudes as well as to the stimulation of social involvement, resulting in benefits for the local communities.
Other benefits include:
- enhancing work performance skills in seniors and their ability to manage diversity
- easing the transition from being employee to being retired
- facilitating the establishment of new social contacts and involvement in the community
- developing individual skills and abilities that strengthen the social participation
- treasuring the skills of those who are no longer on the labor market but can still be useful to society
- giving the opportunity to capitalize on personal and professional experience